This blog is supported by sponsored links & ads.
Grills have been a critical part of the tailgating experience for as long as I can remember. It simply doesn’t make sense to buy pre-cooked food when you can easily make it yourself to your own liking. But to save money when purchasing a grill, you need to be a smart shopper and an experienced griller. That’s probably why you’re checking out some Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill reviews to determine if it’s worth your hard-earned money and if there is any risk of this grill putting you through those awkward tailgating moments when your grill craps out on you.
Well, look no further, because at Simply Tailgating we’ve put the put flesh on the bones in this Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill review. You may not like everything you read, but you also don’t want to lose money, so you should probably keep on reading below.
About Coleman Grills:
- Company Name: The Coleman Company, Inc.
- URL: Coleman.com
- Address: 1767 Denver West BLVD, Golden, CO 80401, US
- Owner: Newell Brands
Coleman Company was founded in 1900 by the late William Coleman, a politician and businessman. The company is currently headquartered in Golden, CO. They specialize in outdoor activity products such as camping equipment and grills, including the Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill. They’re found online at Coleman.com.
Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill Features:
- Fuel Source: Propane
- Cooking Area: 285 Square Inches
- Number of burners: 3 (Combines 20,000 BTU)
- Construction Material: Metallic body, cast iron cooking grates, aluminum legs
- Elevation: Stand-Up
- Size & Weight: 30.2 x 19.2 x 16.1 inches, 46.7lbs
- Assembly: Not required
A grill’s features say a lot about how much use you’ll get out of it, especially if you’re an active tailgater like yours truly. So with that in mind, let’s take a close look at the Coleman Roadtrip 285 Grill’s features:
285 Square Inches Cooking Area – The grill may appear small, measuring 30.2 x 19.2 x 16.1 inches. But with that much space you can easily throw in 12-15 burgers, 25 hot dogs or 20 pounds of fish. That should be enough to feed a party of 10.
Up to 20,000 BTUs of grilling power – Three independently controlled burners produce a combined 20,000 BTUs, with a range of 3,650-20,000. That’s quite impressive for a grill of this size!
Two side tables – In my opinion, an ideal tailgating grill should have side shelves. Fortunately, with this model,you have two tables on each side for your utensils and sauces, or even a prep area if you’re working under limited space.
Folding Legs with two wheels – Another impressive feature about this Coleman is that it comes with foldable legs that stand waist-high when upright. While transporting the grill, you can fold down the legs and drag it around like a suitcase.
Other Notable Features:
- Water catch pan beneath the cooktop
- Swappable Cooktops
- Instastart ignition for push-button, matchless lighting
- Built-in thermometer
- Available in 5 colors; blue, green, orange, red and black
- Uses 1lb propane canisters adjustable to 20lb with a hose
- Locking lid
Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill Cleaning & Maintenance:
You want to give your grill the best chance at durability. So regular cleaning and maintenance should be a priority after every use. That said, here’s how you clean the Coleman RoadTrip 285.
- Remove the cast iron grates and clean them using warm, soapy water after scraping off food residue. Then, apply three layers of vegetable oil to season the grates.
- Carefully remove the water catch pan. It should be greasy so it can get messy if you’re not careful. It’s also shallow and long, so hold your breath while pulling it out. You don’t want grease making its way onto the burners, now do you?
- Use a nylon-bristled brush or dry cloth to give the burners a delicate wipe. You should also do the same before using the grill.
- The exterior is made of enhanced metal, so warm, soapy water and a dishwashing scrub should work. Then, wipe the whole thing down with a towel. Don’t rinse with a lot of water as the water may damage the critical components of the grill including the knobs, thermometer gauge and burners.
- Before storing it away, make sure the cast-iron cooktops are properly seasoned to avoid rust. Then, place it inside the unit’s cover and store it in a cool, dry place. You can get this model’s bag on Amazon.com for around $30.
Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill Portability:
Whenever you’re shopping for a tailgating grill, the ease in which it can be moved around should be a top priority. With the Coleman RoadTrip 285, you have a stand-up grill with foldable legs and two wheels. So you won’t really feel the grill’s 47 pounds when transporting it like a suitcase. Again, it measures 30.2 x 19.2 x 16.1 inches when folded down so it fits inside a normal trunk without taking up too much space.
Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill Warranty:
The Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill comes with a 3-year limited manufacturer warranty. So if you notice any defect within that period, you can contact them at 1-800-835-3278. You can go here to find out how to make a warranty claim. Remember after buying any grill, you may want to keep your receipt safe. Most manufacturers won’t even lend you an ear if you don’t have it.
Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill Accessories:
Some grills come with accessories, others just don’t, but that is not the case with the Coleman Roadtrip 285 Stand-up grill. Here are a few accessories that are really affordable and available for great prices and discounts on Amazon.com:
- SwapTop griddle
- Propane hose and adapter
- Grilling tool set, including knives, tongs, spatula, grill brush and more!
- Grill bag
Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill Replacement Parts:
You can’t avoid wear and tear while using any piece of equipment, including your tailgating grill. But you can avoid this by keeping up with and buying replacement parts. With the Coleman RoadTrip 285 Grill, here’s what you can replace:
These parts can be found on Amazon.com for the best prices and discounts, such as the FREE 2-3 day shipping if you are a Prime Member.
Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill Cost:
Shopping for grills is all about savings. You don’t have to compromise on quality to get an affordable grill if you know where to shop. The Coleman RoadTrip 285 goes for around $230. Feel free to compare prices but Amazon.com would be a clear winner with all sorts of deals and offers to take on like the FREE Guaranteed 1-3 Day Amazon Prime Delivery.
What Do We Like?
The Coleman 285 Stand-up grill has to be one of the best tailgating grills we’ve reviewed so far. It’s clear from our research that Coleman truly knows how to make portable outdoor grills. Anyway, highlighted here is what we like most about it:
- Highly portable – It’s hard to find a grill that you can drag along easily while out and about. Foldable waist-high legs means you can also set it up anywhere. It’s also compact and can fit in your trunk comfortably.
- Serious grilling power – You have 3, 20,000 BTU independently, controlled burners, so searing your meat in record time shouldn’t be a problem. Coleman knew that with such power comes the need for a little more control over temperature, so they added an integrated thermometer gauge.
- Truly functional – The grill’s features make it truly functional with foldable wheeled legs, side shelves, a lid and so on. The SwapTop cooktop also means you can cook eggs and bacon for breakfast on a griddle, then switch things up with cooking grates while roasting steaks for lunch, and combine the two and make saucy chicken legs and crusty pork bellies for dinner. No menu limitations with this one!
Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill Complaints:
I know, what you read so far sounds awfully good but this Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable grill review wouldn’t be complete without us talking about the negatives too. Our goal is to give you a complete picture of the grill so you can determine if it’s really worth your money.
Not sturdy enough – Customers say the grill dents and bends easily, especially if you’re grilling enthusiast and would want to use it a lot. The metal is not strong enough to withstand heavy meat. So while you may flip tons of burgers, you may want to ease up on that 5 pound steak. The screws loosen easily and the skewer handles may fall off and melt after some time.
It can be hard to clean – I believe there are tons of easy-to-clean grills out there, but not this one. There are several delicate parts that are not water-friendly. Again, the water catch pan is shallow and long, so it’s easy to get messy while removing it. Customers have experienced the same problem with the Coleman RoadTrip Grill LXE.
Other Tailgating Grills to Consider:
So if anything you’ve read doesn’t sit well with you, here are a couple of Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill alternatives we’ve reviewed before that you can check out:
- Cuisinart CGG-888 Cooking Center – Stand-up grill with more grilling power (30,000 BTUs)
- Char-broil Classic 280 Gas Grill – Similar size, Stand-up, easier to clean and more durable
- Weber Q 2200 Grill – Same size, tabletop alternative with fewer quality issues.
Should You Buy the Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill?
If you’re looking for a portable, functional, large grill that can easily feed a party of 10, then the Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-up Grill is the grill to gun for. You can do almost anything with it, be it steaming, grilling or roasting just about anything that can fit into a 285 sq. inch cooking area. You shouldn’t experience flare ups or uneven cooking, with the three independently controlled burners heating up the cooking surface impressively well. On the flip side, it feels weak, but that’s the opinion of the minority. All in all, it’s a nifty piece of equipment that does exactly what it says it does.
So if you feel this may be your next tailgating cooking companion, you can shop for it on Amazon.com for the best price. You can even save on shipping and still get it fast with the FREE 1-3 Day Amazon Delivery if you’re a Prime member.
- Highly portable
- Truly functional
- High grilling power
- May feel weak
- Not easy to clean
Well, it’s a wrap! Did we miss something or do you have thoughts about this or any other grill you’d wish to share? Feel free to chime in below in the comments section. For answers to common questions about the grill, you can find answers on the product’s Amazon page.